Welcome to Akademia Live, where award-winning artists in diverse musical genres take the stage to bring their original music straight to the people. There are no second-takes. There are no slick post-production effects. There’s only the artist, theirs songs, and the crowd. It doesn’t get any more live than Akademia Live.
Sol Night Club
Thursday, December 4, 2014 @ 8 PM
313 E. Carson St.
Los Angeles, California 90745
See award-winning artists Nxus, Lisa Trindade, Lotis, Dalal, Millennium and others take the stage for one epic night of live performances. DJ’s will be spinning the hottest club hits before and after the live sets. Akademia drink specials all night.
Admission: Free (Password ‘Akademia’)
Ages 21 & over only. Dress code: Club chic.
By Hitesh Patel
‘If your prospective job involves learning a set of logical rules or a statistical model that you apply to task after task, it is ripe for replacement by a robot.’
Congratulations! You’ve worked hard for four years, slogging through endless lectures, study groups, tests and, of course, countless embarrassing drunken blowouts, to emerge a victorious new graduate. Your future couldn’t possibly look any brighter, right? Well, the problem is that while you were toiling away the past four years at your studies so that you could land a plum job, so were millions of computer programmers also toiling worldwide. Their work, however, was of a decidedly different nature- making sure the plum entry level jobs that you might have stepped into become automated so that their employers can use that money towards what they deem to be more important ends.
Don’t feel too bad, though. This is the continuation of a trend that began with the first programmable machines and has only gained momentum. While it may seem like cause for despair, it is not. It is a call to adapt. Frank Levy of MIT and Richard Murane of Harvard, a pair of economists who have studied the impact of automation on human employment, describe this next phase as the ‘Grand Restructuring’. Simply put, if your prospective job involves learning a set of logical rules or a statistical model that you apply to task after task, it is ripe for replacement by a robot. As computing power continues to increase and programmers continue to innovate, there are very few occupations that will fall outside of this category. Levy and Murane predict the surviving jobs will be of three kinds: solving unstructured problems, working with new information, and carrying out non-routine manual tasks. It is hard to imagine a robot that could plot corporate strategy, design buildings, fix plumbing problems or style hair for instance.
Sanjiv Singh, a longtime faculty member of the Robotics Institute of Carnegie Mellon University, provides a viewpoint from inside the robotics field. According to Singh, robotic devices can relieve people of jobs that are dull, dangerous or dirty, whether those jobs are on mind-numbing assembly lines or in unpleasant environments, like clearing land minds or welding on the ocean floor. They can also enhance people’s ability to performs tasks. Yet the worrisome step is when robots go from assisting human workers to making them obsolete.
One view from outside the field comes from someone in the creative arts. Stryker, singer-songwriter with pop rock group Millennium, eschewed a lucrative corporate position long ago to pursue a creative path. ‘We were helping to implement a company-wide software system designed to integrate virtually every department’s function, from product development to inventory management. I came to understand through this experience that the jobs we held (even executive-level ones) could eventually be rationalized down to a complex but definable decision tree and then automated. That raised an interesting philosophical question about the meaning of such work. Music, art, film, literature, or poetry could never be meaningfully automated by machines. I think that says a lot about the uniqueness of those occupations. It also seems plausible that it will be the creative community that charts…Read the full article at: http://whoismillennium.com/press_room/the_robot_economy_new_grads_beware/
By Lorilei Alexander
Usually people associate the word naughty with an action that is either mischievous or indecent and that could get you into trouble. Well here is a list of ten things that are currently considered naughty but are actually really good for you. Over time, I bet others will make this naughty list a part of their normal routine and perhaps even add a few new items of their own.
1. Have make-up sex every time. You should be getting busy at least a couple of times a week anyway. Sex boosts your immunity, lowers your blood pressure, reduces anxiety and the best part is that it counts as exercise. So why not head to the bedroom after a little lover’s quarrel? You’ll get all of the above benefits, plus it will make you feel emotionally closer to your mate in short order.
2. Eat the thing that you crave most. Stop denying that voice in your head that is yearning for cookies or other prohibited treats. Depriving yourself will only make you irritable, lead to more cravings and eventually cause you to break your strict diet for good because you are miserable. Occasional ‘cheating’ on your diet can actually positively stimulate your thyroid and rev up your metabolism. Feel free to indulge in your favorite treat once in a while, particularly when that cookie monster inside is getting more earnest. Take a cue from these artists who clearly stay fit but have no compunctions about hitting fast food row https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX0ZxbvVDPA.
3. Drink every day. This should not be read as ‘get drunk every day’. The alcohol in beer and wine helps stimulate liver antioxidant production, protects against heart disease and lowers the risk of hypertension. Of all alcoholic beverages, red wine is the megastar. It contains antioxidants such as resveratrol that have been shown to lengthen life span and reduce bad cholesterol. So go ahead, kick back and enjoy a glass of wine at the end of the day with your meal.
4. Have a real talk with someone, not just chit chat. Find someone you have been meaning to spend some time with or would like to get to know better. Have a real heart-to-heart conversation with them in which you really get to know them (i.e. no topic is off limits). It is better to do it over a drink. If you said something too offensive, you could always blame it on the liquor later.
5. Clean out your closet and afterwards, reward yourself with a shopping trip. It feels good to let go of things that you don’t use anymore. Ask your siblings if they would want your old clothes or donate them. Treat yourself to one new purchase for every five pieces you give away. You deserve it.
6. Walk around the house scantily clad (or naked) and whenever you pass your reflection gasp and say, ‘You’re hot!’It is time to banish the negative self-talk. In most cases, such talk is simply not true but if you repeat it long enough, you may start to believe it. So tell yourself that you are amazing, brilliant and sexy every day. Read the full article at: http://www.whoismillennium.com/press_room/10_naughty_things_to_do_for_a_happier_life/
By Marcela Linton
Every June, the quest for the perfect summer body resumes. There is no shortage of information out there on diet plans, exercise tips, juicing or pills to sift through. But if anyone actually had the right formula, there wouldn’t be so many articles out there contradicting each other. There would be more people out there proudly flaunting their chiseled bodies. It’s time to scrap all of the outside information and begin really listening to your body. Sometimes you need to give yourself permission to indulge. You’ll find that genuine cravings only come up once in a while. Now let’s be honest, most fast food out there is total crap. But for those rare companies who’ve honed their recipe over time, credit must be given where credit is due. There is certainly a wide range of options available. We asked Los Angeles pop rock group Millennium, who just released their new single ‘Wide Thing’ [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX0ZxbvVDPA], about their guilty food pleasures. While they had no shortage of answers, here is their Top 5 list of fast food entrées that get it right.
‘Over the decades, El Pollo Loco has honed their Spicy Chipotle Chicken Burrito to a science. I have been eating there on and off for years now. The key I’ve found is to substitute the standard pinto beans for barbecue black beans. Not regular black beans – barbecue black beans. Pure heaven after I come out of the studio starving.’ –Stryker
‘Once in a while, I crave chili cheese fries, but not just any chili cheese fries. Fatburger makes the best ones. If you order the skinny fries, then they are extra crispy and not soft and mushy like thicker fries. I also order them with extra cheese. The great thing about Fatburger is that they are open 24 hours because you never know when the craving might strike.’ –Sapphire
‘Now don’t kid yourself. It may be fish, but there ain’t nothing healthy about these batter-fried, sauce laden-babies. That said, they taste like awesomeness and for $1.50 each, you can’t go wrong. There’s a Rubio’s around the corner from our gym so, once in awhile, when I feel like undoing a week’s worth of fitness progress, I stop by for my fix.’ –Stryker. Read the full article at: http://whoismillennium.com/press_room/the_wide_world_of_fast_food/